Wednesday, 15 August 2018

Digital Fluency Day 4 - 15 August 2018




Today we learnt about google forms, google maps and google sheets. We have used google forms before in our English department to collect student and teacher voice. It is a easy and simple tool to use. Today I practiced using it to create a survey units being taught. As well as this I realised that they would also be good to check student understanding of learning - pre or post testing. We then used the data that was collected from the survey to collate information into a google spread sheet and then organised into a graph. Great learning but very fast paced and at times I got lost and frustrated. We were shown a couple of very good tips in google forms so that sentences can be seen and not cut off. We also covered google maps which was brilliant also but I found it hard to understand how it could be used for my senior English students.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners , capability or workflow in my personal life?
I already use google sheets for department tracking and internal moderation cover sheets so that they are all in one place. This means as a department head I have access to progress in all English teachers classes. Teachers are asked to update sheets on a regular basis. I have found the internal moderation sheets great for each course which means it is in one place and I do not have several sheets in several folders. I also use google sheets at home for budgeting.

Blogging: Today I also learnt how to embed a document into my google blog. We learnt about resizing to help it fit. We were also shown how to add another page to our blog site. This has been very stressful for me. I am very limited when using the blogging site. Thankfully I am feeling a little better after today. link: Embedding Google Docs into your blog








1 comment:

  1. Hi Maria, It sounds like the day was a mixed bag for you! Dealing with Data is an enormous subject and I hope you joined a group in the levelling up time that was able to fill in gaps from when the pace was a bit fast. Maybe join us when we do the repeat for the ones who were on strike today?

    I am sorry you did not get ideas for senior English out of Google Maps. I have found it super for novels with things like Google Lit Trips ( http://www.googlelittrips.org/litTripLibrary/grades9-12.php ) being a much more engaging way to get young people engaging with complex novels. I even have one published on this site :)

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete